The 2023-2024 season is upon us, and I am pleased to say that we have our usual facility and times back for another year. The fees will stay the same as last year, we start Sept 25, and the times are as follows:
Junior Mondays and Wednesdays 6pm to 730pm
Adult Mondays 730pm to 9pm
We play in the Gravenhurst Public School Gym. The club does not run on any school holidays or inclement weather days. Our registration form can be found here.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Hello everyone. We are finally allowed to use school facilities again, and will be starting badminton Feb 7. As a reminder, please complete the self screening questionnaire located at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/severe-symptoms every time you are attending badminton. In addition, please bring your qr code for proof of vaccination for anyone 12 years or older, as we are required to scan it prior to your participation.
Thank you, and look forward to seeing everyone on the court again!
We are very excited to finally start playing badminton again after a year and a half. Play and registration begins on Oct 25. Here is a copy of our registration form, and our playing schedule is here. In addition, players need to register with Badminton Ontario with this link: https://playerweb.com/#!/login. Here are some videos that document the process:
Payments may be made by cheque or cash in person, or by emt to email@example.com. There are some new covid protocols to follow, so please note the following:
• Anyone over the age of 18 must be double vaccinated with 14 days post their second vaccination. The Board reserves the right to audit this at any time. Please bring proof of vaccination and ID to your first night of play, and it will be recorded on your registration
• Change rooms are NOT available. Please come ready to play.
• Participants must only be in the places allowed by the permit. (Our permit has these areas listed: 121 Hallway, 130 Side Entrance/Exit, 131 Hallway, 134 Gym, 138 Side Entrance/Exit, 140 Washroom, 142 Washroom)
• All participants must complete the self-screening check for COVID-19 symptoms each night. The Ontario COVID self-assessment is here. I will have some paper copies available at the desk if required.
• An administrator of the group must keep a log of all those that are there for contact tracing.
• All participants must wear a mask into the building and when not actively participating in the program. In other words, masks must be on unless on the court.
• If someone is sick, they cannot enter the building
• People not actively participating in your group’s program are not allowed into the building, so no spectators are allowed. Parents may come in at the start, and can return at the end to pick up their child.
I will keep a bottle of hand sanitizer at the gym entrance. I encourage people to use it frequently.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.
What a great showing by all the Falcons who participated! Everyone played so well. You all should be exceedingly proud of your growth this season.
In U13 Boys Singles we finished one, two, three with Om Patel, Desmond Gauthier and William Nunnemacher lining up. Desmond’s match against Om was a real barn burner going a full 3 games with excellent rallies and two very tired players by the end. To finish 3rd William had to defeat an opponent from Parry Sound – Cody Oldham. Cody had defeated William in 3 games at their last meeting at Machi in March. This time William prevailed in 3 games! Colton Courville, a very young first year player, displayed amazing tenacity taking some matches to 3 games and never giving up. Not only does the opposition have to watch out for Colton next year but there are other young Falcons about to join the competitive team including brothers Tanish and Vasish.
Cameron Bird continues to show incredible skills by taking the U15 Singles despite still have a year of U13 left to play. He was challenged early on by Evan Sia of Newmarket – a big, strong player. Cameron had to make a lot of very accurate shots while under extreme pressure to win this 3-game match. The final against another Newmarket player, Alexis Chow, proved difficult but Cameron finished it in 2 games.
In Doubles, Cameron and Om teamed up to win the U15 Gold without much difficulty while William and Desmond teamed up to win the U13 Gold after fighting off a stiff challenge by the Parry Sound team.
Aiden Courville, also a first year player and older brother of Colton, teamed up with Alexis Chow of Newmarket in Doubles and they both played extremely well to end up in the finals against Cameron and Om. Aiden’s choice of shots and placement of shots was surprisingly good for a first year player and left his partner very pleased and surprised. In U15 Singles Aiden took the D Championship.
Shrey Patel, our only U19 player, had a very frustrating tournament for his last tournament as a Falcon.
Because the Junior Bs were held the same weekend many of the U19 players went to that tournament. His only real opponent, Cooper MacAdams from Alliston, suffered a concussion playing rugby this week and had to withdraw. Cooper’s absence also led to Shrey losing his double’s partner and then to add insult to injury his mixed double’s partner, also from Alliston, was ordered home early by her parents because of the bad weather. Good luck at MPS and GBs Shrey! And hope you keep playing at university!